10 Important Garage Door Safety Tips
- October 16, 2017
- Garage Doors
Your garage door is the largest moving object in your home. Consequently it is one of the most dangerous. Please keep the following precautions in mind:
- Never let children play with garage door remotes or pushbuttons.
- Teach children to stay away from the garage door.
- Always have the garage door in sight before operating the door. Never operate the door if someone is near it.
- Make certain no one is near the door or approaching the door before you release the door from the opener for manual operation. The door should preferably be closed when pulling the manual release cord.
- Do not attempt to remove cables, rewind cables, remove bottom corner brackets, remove hinges, rewind, remove, or replace broken springs, or remove door sections. Call a professional garage door company to perform these dangerous jobs.
- If your garage door opener does not have safety sensors near the floor, replace the opener with a new one.
- Make sure the safety sensors are installed 5” to 6” from floor on both sides of the door.
- At least once every two years, have a professional garage door company check, and adjust if necessary, the spring tension and the safety reverse system.
- If you allow children to use the outside keypad, teach them to stay clear of the door and its path while it is moving.
- Do not stand, walk, or run under the door while it is moving.
It is important that you adhere to these precautions. There have been many injuries and deaths involving garage doors, especially with children. Many people do not realize the dangers involved in operating a garage door.